Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bon Appétit

{ Crawfish & Corn Soup }

Last night, I felt like something warm. Something homemade. Something familiar. So, I turned to All Recipes. I'd used recipes from there before, but I had never truly utilized the site. Yesterday, I registered and love it! You can search + save recipes. Plus, you can print out a ingredients list derived from the recipes you'll be using. And, you can change the amount you'll cook and it will reduce the ingredients accordingly. Brilliant.

But back to warm, familiar and homemade...I decided to make this crawfish and corn soup. So, I saved it and picked up the needed ingredients on my way home from work. It turned out incredibly tasty so I thought I'd share it with you guys!


I modified the original recipe, to what's listed below.

Ingredients
(serves 5)

  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/5 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
  • 1/2 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn (do not drain)
  • 1/2 (10.75 ounce) can reduced sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 pound Louisiana crawfish, peeled
  • seasoning (Tony's + fresh cracked black pepper) as needed
  • freshly grated Parmesan cheese for garnishing
Directions
  1. Melt butter in a large pot over low heat, and stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly to make a light roux, about 10 minutes. (Note: a roux in our family is the color of peanut butter. I made it a tad lighter for this dish. It's very important to not to let the roux stick or it will burn.)
  2. Add onions, and cook until wilted, stirring constantly. Pour in milk, creamed corn, whole kernel corn, and cream of mushroom soup. Add seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to blend, and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes. Add crawfish, and cook for 20 more minutes.
  3. Serve and top with freshly grated Parmesan. Enjoy!