Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Inspiring Interview { Pierre Kim }

What should a dad do when their wife is preggers with baby numero uno? If you're smart you start a blog about all the wonderful adventures that are sure to ensue. Of course that is what Pierre, the witty father behind MetroDad, did. His writing is honest, unfiltered and hilarious, but most of all overflowing with warmth and love for his family. He also blogs for Rice Daddies and DadCentric. Move over mommy bloggers, this daddy has something to say!


What's the best thing about blogging and why did you get started? I started blogging primarily to keep an online journal of my impending journey into fatherhood. Although I’d always wanted children, when I learned that my wife was actually pregnant, my mind started swirling madly with varying emotions. Starting the blog helped me not only keep everything in perspective but also allowed me (via my community of readers) to realize that everything I was feeling was completely normal.

The best thing about blogging are the real-life friendships I’ve formed with people whom I’ve met through the blog. It’s great primarily because it was such an unexpected benefit of starting the blog. Welcome to the future!


Where do you see yourself and your blog in 5 years? By that time, I’m assuming that the blog (due to its utterly fascinating depiction of fatherhood) will have been optioned as a Hollywood film. If I’m lucky, they’ll get Russell Wong to play me. However, knowing Hollywood, they’ll probably use an all-Caucasian cast. Nonetheless, with the vast proceeds of my foray into Hollywood, I will return to New York City and open my dream establishment, an exact replication of The Double Deuce Bar from the classic Patrick Swayze movie “Road House.”

In all seriousness, in 5 years, I see myself pursuing other opportunities in writing. I also have a dream of one day working as a chef at my own sushi restaurant. However, the blog will remain dedicated to capturing the enormous joys of parenting.

What's one thing about you that would surprise people? I eat food so fast you’d think I was raised in prison. Seriously. I’m like an amateur Kobayashi.


As a dad, what magical invention would you like to get your hands on? A magical device that would allow my daughter to take a bath every night without screaming bloody murder. If I didn’t know better, I’d swear that she was allergic to soap and water.

Where is your favorite place, vacation or otherwise, that you've ever been and why? Wow, that’s like asking someone to pick a favorite child. I’ve been to over 50 countries and I love all of them for so many different reasons. However, if I had to pick just one place, I’d probably say the Galapagos Islands. Several years ago, my wife and I chartered a boat with several naturalist guides and we spent two weeks exploring all the different islands. There’s truly no place like it on Earth and I think everyone needs to visit there once during their lifetime. It reconnects you with the planet in ways that you wouldn’t imagine.


If you had an entire day all to yourself, how would you spend it? Camping. Preferably on the banks of an isolated river teeming with brown trout. At night, I’d pour myself a glass of scotch, fall asleep reading by the campfire, and pray that the bears don’t eat me because of the alluring scent of my organic deodorent.

What is your most treasured belonging? A signed first-edition of Ralph Ellison’s “Invisible Man.”

What are you coveting for Father's Day? Anything made, drawn, or created by my daughter herself. I’m such a sucker for all that stuff. When my daughter was one, she came home from daycare with a Father’s Day card for me. It was basically just a piece of paper with her painted handprints. On it, her teachers had written “Happy Father’s Day, Daddy. I love you!” When I got the card, I got all teary. What can I say? Fatherhood has made me soft.

Thank you Pierre for taking the time to chat with us!