Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Inspiring Interview

{ Jennifer Ramos of Made by Girl }

I had the pleasure of interviewing Jennifer Ramos, designer and owner of Made by Girl. MBG offers beautiful and unique cards, invitations and digital prints inspired by Jennifer's love of prints and patterns. Her gorgeous designs and inspiring blog are must sees. And not only is Jennifer super sweet and creative, but she is also a friend to the environment. All of her products are printed on recycled or post consumer paper and a portion of all profits go to StopGlobalWarming.org. Please join us in welcoming Jennifer as our first Coveiter inspiring interview.


Who/what inspires your designs? So many things have inspired my designs. I LOVE color and color contrast when creating my greeting cards or prints. Love itself is a huge inspiration for me as you can see so many of my designs are about love.


You have alot on your plate! How do you make time for creativity? I can do things quickly and have managed my time really well. Many times I don't even go out with friends so that I can finish work...I guess I can be a real workaholic. But at this point in my life I feel it is appropriate for me. As for creativity, it just comes to me...usually before I go to bed, infact thats when I had my idea for the popular 'ABC Love print'!


When you have "artist's/designer's/creator's block" what do you do to get the inspiration flowing again? I've had that happen to me only once so far. What I did was jump offline and go out to a book store grab some coffee and read through magazines & books to try to regain my creativity back. When I see other people's work, it inspires me and motivates me to push myself a lot further.

You've got to have some favorite resources, blogs, or websites on the web. Will you share some with us? Weird, I don't have any favorites. However, I scan through many different blogs...sometimes for inspiration and to read up on environmental issues. The blogs I frequent are: 'Liberty Post Gallery', Hope dies last, Decor 8, EcoRazzi, Style Files, Kathy's little world, A cup of Jo.


Where do you see yourself and your business in 5 years? I hope to be happy, successful and have a sense of accomplishment. Hopefully by that time my business will have grown to a higher level to where I can be a big inspiration for others. I want to do more for charities within the environmental and animal areas. It breaks my heart to know that so many animals need homes and I can't do more for them. I also hope the production of my prints will be 100% green!

What song makes you want to sing out loud and dance around without inhibition? There are many songs that make me wanna get up and dance around or whatever you do when your alone! Ok I'll choose "Hey, Hey what can I do?" By Led Zeppelin.


What was the last movie you saw or book you read that changed the way you think? The last movie I saw that changed the way I thought was SICKO by Michael Moore. His investigation of the American Health care system really made me re-think a lot of things regarding own health care and future residence.

What is the one thing you can't leave home without? My makeup!! I love makeup. Is that more than one thing??


What is your most treasured belonging? My home.

Who is your favorite artist? It may sound Cliche' but I really like Andy Warhol.

Finally what are you coveting this spring? A Chesterfield sofa!!!

Thank you Jennifer for creating inspiring work and allowing us to chat with you!