Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Bon Appétit

{ Banana Whoopie Pies }



Tonight I made these yummy whoopie pies a la Martha Stewart. The recipe is in the newest issue of Living and I knew I needed to try them asap. They were pretty easy to whip up and I was generally happy with the results. In fact I was twirling about the kitchen exclaiming "Whoppie!"

I do though, almost feel a little guilty saying this, but there are a few changes I'd make. I mean, I am no Martha but I did see a few areas that could use improvements. I have noted my edits in the recipe below. What I did really like was the texture, very light and almost cake like. Additionally the cream mixture was divine. Now I may have to invest in her Cookies book.

Ingredients

  • 2 Cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 large ripe bananas, mashed*MS says 1 but it left too much banana flavor to be desired
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 stick salted butter *MS says unsalted, I used salted
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup powdered sugar, plus addtional for dusting
  • 2 tsp cinnamon *(I like bananas + cinnamon, so I added it)
  1. Preheat oven to 350degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. 2. Mix flour, baking power, baking soda, and salt in bowl.
  2. Combine banana and sour cream in separate bowl.
  3. *Microwave butter and both sugars for approximately 20 seconds and then beat with blender on medium-high until creamy.
  4. Add egg and 1/2 tsp of vanilla until incorporated.
  5. Add banana mixture in 2 additions, alternating with flour mixture.
  6. *Using a small melon baller scoop 1 inch rounds onto baking sheets, about 1 inch apart.
  7. Bake until edges are golden, about 12 minutes.
  8. Let cookies cool completely.
  9. While cookies cool, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and remaining 1/2 tsp of vanilla with mixer on medium, until smooth.
  10. Spoon about 1 tbsp of cream mixture onto flat sides of half cookies, then sandwich with remaining cookies.
  11. Sprinkle with powedered sugar.
  12. Cookies can be stored, unfilled for 1 day. Filling can be stored in the fridge until needed. Enjoy!