Friday, February 29, 2008

3 Things That Will Change Your Internet Life

And all free!


Ma.golia is a web-based program that allows you to save websites as bookmarks. You can "tag" (label) these links with categories so that you can organize them and find the fast. Since the sites are online, you can access your saved links from any computer. You can also link to friends who Ma.gnolia as well, which allows you to see their bookmarks as. Got a link you don't want to share? You also have the option to keep it private.

How I use it:
I use this tool every single day. Like, I don't know what I did before having it! For instance, if I come across a gift that I'd like to give a friend, I'll save it in my Ma.golia and make it private. Come time for their birthday, I don't have to rack my brain to try to recall what and where I found it.
--



Skype is a web-based program that allows you to talk over the internet to anyone in the world. You can text, voice chat and video chat.

How I use it:
My husband's family is scattered throughout the country. Yes, we can pick up a phone to talk, but video chatting is way cooler. My husband plays online chess with his father and they can see each other and chat during the game. It's really cool.
--



Backpack is part of 37signals and is a web-based information organizer. You can make checkable to-do lists, write notes, add pictures and files. Since it's web-based, you can access it on any computer anywhere. You can also share your information with people or keep them private.

How I use it:
During wedding planning, I made a to-do list, and my then fiance made a to-do list as well. Both lists were viewable to each of us so that we could see what each other was accomplishing.